Sunday 23 January 2011

High Chair


There are two things which trouble me here (well, maybe trouble is a strong word, puzzle me enough to take a picture and give me something to write about), one, why would you put high chairs outside your cafe.  And, two, if you were a human who saw said high chairs, why would you sit on one and start texting on your phone.  Wouldn't you realise how odd you look, towering over people, adjudicating their walking abilities.

Deutsching

In other news, I have started a German course at the Goethe Institut.  Originally I'd gone to the language school you can see at the top of the photo above.  I had done a test and been told that I had to start at the complete beginner level, A1.  Seeing as I'd done many many months of studying beforehand, this fact irked me some.  Ahh, these people are moronic dipshits, I thought to myself.  And it turns out I was right.

Upon registering at the Goethe Institut I was giving a test.  A much more intensive one and a little more than the "here's 15 questions on a badly photocopied peice of paper" I got from Parlando.  So, after many questions, a written text part and an interview they concluded that I am level A22 (which is Level A2 - Part 2, before you think I'd just jumped a whole 21 levels).

I'm now 3 weeks into the course and its going quite well.  There are a few things that I haven't studied before and the teaching method for these seems to be "well, you should know it, its easy, why can't you understand it completely from my 55 second explanation in German".  But all in all, I'm getting somewhere with my German, actually using it and practising it with people.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I walked by here on Friday night and wondered the same thing.