Wednesday 10 November 2010

New York - Day 4 - Central Park n Proper Chips


Central Parking

Day 4 was a Saturday.  One, this meant that they'd be a gazillion people crawling around the streets and two, it meant that I'd been there for 4 days and was suitably knackered.  So, time for a walk in the park me thinks.

This was mostly pleasant and mostly uneventful.  There were many happy dogs running around and playing and lots of New Yorkers running around in way too tight fitting shorts (there are a lot of people there who seem to love doing this activity, it escapes me).
Sat around in the sun for a while and then tried to escape the park only to find myself stuck on the wrong side of a big lake and having to walk all the way around it.  When I arrived at the coffee destination for the day, I was in need of a sit down, and therefore was not happy to see this.
Yep, a queue.  But, it did reinforce the idea that I was going to the correct (ie. better) coffee shops.  In the mood for standing in a queue I was not though.

Neither was this guy.
He was just screaming at the top of his lungs for 10 minutes, pissed at the length of the queue (not really).

But, thankfully, the coffee was yum.
requisite coffee picture number 6

And I managed to grab a seat, so all wasn't lost, I wrote my musings of the day in my notebook and did one's best to look suitable deep and thoughtful.

Line Walking and Spank Coffee


After enduring the crowded coffee shop for a while I popped over to the meat packing district and went for a wander down the High Line Park.  The first odd thing was that most of it seemed to be closed and there was just a small bit south of 14th street open.  It was fun enough though.  Walked down some concrete, got some nice views of the city.

Saw some cool buildings.
Went through some tunnels.
And left.  Job done.

An afternoon coffee was then had.

Yep, it was as wank as it looks.  Thankfully a visit to Tu-Lu's Gluten Free bakery then happened and the result was the contents of this box, saving the afternoons events.

They were enjoyed whilst watching the new Woody Allen film in the oldest person cinema in the world (I think I may of been the youngest there by about 30 years).
It did leave me puzzled as to why they made cinemas like this.  Why are all the seats at the same height?  Its not that much of a intellectual leap to figure out that if you stagger the seats people can see over the huge big headed morons that sit infront of them.

The film was good though, not Woody's best, but enjoyable.

Evening Chips

The evening was spent doing three things.  One, traveling around on the subway wondering why they were advertising Seinfeld whilst guys pretended to be spies

Two, listening to random nutballs with red guitars tell me how god had sent him a car to pick him up.

Thankfully it was all saved by this.
Thats right, number three, an actual fish and chip shop.
Yes, with an actual fish and chip shop counter peppered with actual english drinks.
The menu was a little odd, but close enough, even if the price was stupidly high (I guess chips are an expensive extravagance there).

Chips AND Mushy Peas were had.  With a little R Whites Lemonade on the side.  Plus, sarsons vinegar.  They were bliss, bliss in a little tray covered in too much salt.  Excellent.  I scoffed the entire lot and spent the rest of the evening hanging out not really doing much blog or photo worthy.

A most nice day indeed.

No comments: