Tuesday 16 November 2010

New York - Day 5 - Large Sandwich n Brooklyn

No Soup for You!

Thankfully, the last 3 days of my trip were spent in a new hostel, one which didn't have that prison feel to it.  One downside was its location in the upper west side, but this did give me the opportunity to visit the area (for all of an hour).  Most importantly to visit this location.

The 'Seinfeld Restaurant' (exterior shots).  Wow!!  Now, don't get me wrong, again, it was good to see the place.  But theres something about these locations, where the only connection it has to the show is some camera guy once stood nearby and took some video of it.  The cast were never inside of it.  This picture is about all its worth.  So, another stand there for 30 seconds, go "huh", take a picture, and walk on.

The rest of the area was allright, nothing too interesting, although why they had to have such security for a church is beyond me.
 It was ok inside though (even if being in such a place leaves a bad taste in my mouth, plus makes me want to shout out things like "Sweaty Hairy Balls" as loud as possible.  I may have religion activated tourettes).
Although, why must they have signs everywhere telling you what you can't do.  Obsessive over control.
And why do you need a 4x4 for a taxi?
Plus, there were one or two million of these signs ontop of the taxis.  I didn't think stripclubs needed that much advertising.

I realised I was getting irritated with my surroundings and escaped the area.

Irrational Sandwich

Afterwards, sat on the train, I realised I was a little peckish and in need of brown liquid refreshment.  Time for a new Gluten Free treat, a 'Sandwich', in the most American meaning of the word possible.  Downtown I went.
Plopped myself into a seat at the back of the restaurant .

And had this thing flung at me.
They called it 'Coffee'.  Although it turned out to just be a close approximation.  Like you'd explained the concept of coffee to a simpleton and this is what they came out with after much experimentation.  NYCS 1 out of 10.

It did its job though and soon (after a long time studying all the gluten free options on the menu), this monstrosity arrived.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have a Gluten Free sandwich.  But I mean, look up the word variation in the dictionary (and the phrase "really overdoing it like a fucktard" too), theres a good inch of meat, bread, inch of meat, tomatoes, lettuce.  Why not mix everything together?  Meat, tomato, meat, lettuce, repeat.  Its not that complicated.

Saying all that, it didn't stop me scoffing it all down, even if the bread was a bit crap.  They did plonk another couple of things down infront of me too, these were apparently additions to the sandwich meal.

Noms.

Afterwards I went for some cash and found this.
Who uses Windows for a cash machine, seriously?

Brooklyn

A walk across the brooklyn bridge was on my list of things to do.  So I did it.
 Walk, Walk, Walk. Look.
 Walk, Walk, Sit.
 Job Done.

Afternoon coffee was this lovely invention, a 9 out of 10 on the NYCS.
 The MPL you can see written on the side of the cup stands for fucking Maple Syrup.  Oh yes.
All thanks to the Gorilla.

An most pleasant afternoon of wandering the streets of Brooklyn was then had.
 "Brown Stones", seems to me that'd be like calling houses in the UK "Oblong Bricks".

A sit down in the park followed whilst some guy dragged a little girl around.  All mostly uneventful.  Really.  I know its just pictures here and not much text bu I lay on the grass and looked around, what more do you want me to say?

A little visit was had to one of the flea markets.
Which was held inside of an old bank.  Everyone was treating this like it was a perfectly normal thing, like walking into a room through this door to buy nick naks and bits of tat is an everyday occurrence (which I guess it is to them, well, every week).
The food court was a little haphazard.  But it did have the nice feeling of being one of the last few remaining humans, hiding out in a bunker from the nuclear fallout, eating out of bins with moody lighting (and FLEA written on them, which I like to believe had nothing to do with where it was but more what was in it).
 So yes, 'getting the fuck out of there' was done, and eating was later done here.
 Along with maybe a little drinky too.
 A late evening walk to the brooklyn pier, sit down, take in the atmosphere.
 Then wandered off and a giant spaceship came in over head.

The last event of the night was to go and see 55 Central Park West.  Yes, another Ghostbusters set!!!  Look, its the church that stay puft stood on!!!  (and yes, this counts as much better than the seinfeld place, because this was fecking Ghostbusters!)

I then collapsed in bed.  Bliss.

No comments: